Creative + business protection

Our round-up of excellent, accurate, and free legal resources every filmmaker should know about.


  • Find the music publisher of a song or musical composition (to gain a sync license to use the composition in your film) by searching the repertory of the three largest performing rights organizations (PRO’s):
  • When using an existing recording of a song or musical composition in your film, you’ll also need to secure a masters license from the applicable record label or artist.

* No attorney-client relationship has been created by your access to this website. This website does not provide legal advice and the Filmmakers Legal Clinic is not acting as your attorney.